Alert Light System
The ALERT (Attentive Living through Energizing, Restorative Technology) sessions are the result of 20 years of combined expertise and research by Michael Joyce of Personal Resource Strategies and David Siever of Mind Alive Inc.
Michael Joyce has completed two studies using the DAVID systems to treat ADD/ADHD. His first study involved 30 primary school children from two schools (which was published in the Journal of Neurotherapy) and his second study included 204 children from seven schools, which he completed while he was the Director of Neurotechnology at A Chance to Grow, a special-needs charter school in Minneapolis.
Both studies showed that ADD behaviors were reduced significantly and reading improved with AVE . Michael used the DAVID’s unique patented field stimulation ability to generate a different frequency in each hemisphere of the brain. With this technique and a Symptom Survey checklist developed by Michael, he was able to create DAVID sessions that could stimulate or calm the left, right or both hemispheres depending on the symptoms checked off by the child’s parents.
Over time, Michael has refined and developed these sessions based on the checklist to produce benefits in specific areas. Now, all of this expertise has been put into the DAVID ALERT Pro.
The ALERT Pro features larger easy-to-read, easy-to-operate buttons and allows users to select a session very easily.
Also includes popular 100 Hz CES with any session.
The ALERT Pro also features night-vue ability, which allows the user to see the session select buttons in the dark at bedtime or at night.
• Tru-Vu Omniscreen Eyesets Light Glasses - The unique Tru-Vu Omniscreen Glasses were carefully designed to provide you with the most effective and safe light and sound experience. This special patented process allows the Alert to stimulate a different frequency in each hemisphere of the brain. This is essential for mood boosting and mental performance. The Tru-Vu Omniscreen Eyesets for the David Alert use eight blue-tinted white LEDs mounted over a silver reflector behind a translucent screen. This disperses the light evenly. The Tru-Vu Omniscreen Glasses are specially designed to allow for the left and right visual fields of each eye to be individually stimulated rather than the entire eye. With the Tru-Vu Omniscreens, the lights flash into the left visual fields of both eyes, then alternately flashes into the right visual fields of both eyes. This approach allows the ability to stimulate either visual cortex with a frequency different from the other visual cortex. For example, a person who functions strongly from the left brain could have 8 Hz stimulated into the right visual field (and therefore the left brain) to slow down left brain function and have 18 Hz stimulated into the left visual field to increase right brain function.
• Isochronic Pulsed Tones, Binaural Beats and Monaural Beats - The isochronic pulsed tones are evenly spaced, are of equal pitch and are turned on and off at a specified rate. This is important to enhance the effectiveness of audio entrainment. The monaural beats are similar to the isochronic pulsed tones, but turn on and off more gently and therefore are smoother, fuller beats and are recommended for those who find the pulse tones too stimulating. The binaural beats are two pure tones (one in each ear)and are perceived to have a beat.
• Soft-Off - The gradual lowering of the lights and tones at the end of the session prevents a startle response (also known as somnatic shock). Soft-OffTM ensures that relaxation and other benefits carry over even after a session has ended.
• Battery Power Indicator - At a quick glance you can tell if your battery has enough power to run your session. New eyeset technology allows for much longer life for your 9-volt battery.
• Easy-To-Find Power, Intensity and Volume Buttons - The power, intensity and volume buttons are raised so that you can make the necessary adjustments easily and quickly, even with your eyes closed. Adjust the intensity of the Omniscreen Glasses with the easy-to-find INT button.
• 24 Present Sessions - Sessions grouped into convenient categories (Left Hemisphere, Right Hemisphere, Whole Brain, Meditator, Toolbox, Sound Sync, User Defined). 11 of the sessions were designed by Michael Joyce exclusively for the ALERT. The remaining session are favorites from the DAVID series.
• Sound Sync Sessions - Each category also has a Sound Sync Session to turn your music into an intriguing light show. All sessions include HRV and begin with a 3-stage process that enhances dissociation.
HEART RATE VARIABILITY (HRV): For the first time ever, a system exists where meditative breathing may be paced along with an audio-visual entrainment (AVE) session. Long, graceful breathing cycles have been used as part of meditation. Scientifically, this technique has been analyzed and shown to settle down a stressed autonomic nervous system. Both sympathetic (flight-or-fight) activity and para-sympathetic (the brain’s efforts to compensate) activity settle down dramatically using HRV techniques.
The heart speeds up with every breath in and slows down with every breath out. This swing in heart rate is HRV. A typical heart beat swing is in the order of about 15 beats per minute (bpm). When people get stressed, the heart typically clamps to sometimes as low as five bpm HRV at times intermixed with sharp spikes in heart rate. This is all abnormal activity and is rough on the heart.
The HRV technique used clinically is based on a 10 second breathing cycle (six breaths/minute, by inhaling slowly for five seconds and exhaling slowly for five seconds in an easy, relaxed breath). When using HRV paced breathing, listen to the heartbeat generated through the headphones. Inhale for two heartbeats and exhale for two heartbeats (not your own heartbeats!). Most sessions begin at seven breathing cycles/minute (28 heartbeats/min) and slow to six breaths /minute (24 heartbeats/min). This allows the user to breathe a little faster at the onset of a session until he/she has had time to relax.
More About Brainwave Entrainment
Using flashing lights and pulsing tones, we can gently and safely guide the brain into various brainwave states. This is commonly known as audio-visual entrainment or brainwave entrainment.
These brainwave patterns are typically grouped into four different categories: Beta, Alpha, Theta and Delta. Each of these brainwave patterns is associated with various states of mind.
Beta Waves are quick, low amplitude waves of 14 to 40 times per second (Hz). Beta brainwave patterns are generated naturally when in an awake, focused and alert state of consciousness.
Alpha Waves are between 8 and 13 Hz and occur during sensorial rest (eg. when the eyes are closed), intellectual relaxation, deep relaxation or meditation. Alpha brainwave rhythms produce: peaceful feelings, warm hands and feet, a sense of well-being, improved sleep, improved academic performance, increased productivity in the workplace, reduced anxiety and improved immune functioning. It is believed that many creative geniuses, such as Einstein, were in a semi-permanent Alpha state.
Alpha/Theta Border are the Schumann Resonance and the State Five Meditation sessions. At the Alpha/Theta border (7 to 8 Hz), exceptional insights and personal transforming experiences can occur.
Theta Waves are between 4 and 8 Hz and are commonly referred to as the dream or "twilight" state. Theta is associated with hypnogogic states, REM and dreaming. Memory development is enhanced in this state. In the Theta brainwave state, memory is improved (particularly long term memory), and access to unconscious material, reveries, free association, sudden insight and creative ideas is increased.
Delta Waves are observed when in a sleeping state. As we fall asleep the dominant natural brainwave becomes Delta. Delta waves are the slowest of brainwaves spanning from 1 to 4 Hz in frequency. There is growing evidence that individuals may maintain a slightly conscious state while in Delta.
The DAVID Session Editor is an optional graphics software program that allows for any type of session to be designed and downloaded into your DAVID machine. It provides programmability for all functions such as: rates, volume, intensity, tones, number of replays, etc. It includes a complete library of preset sessions to use as templates to help you design your own sessions.
• Tru-Vu Omniscreen Light Glasses and Carry Case
• Quality Stereo Headphones
• Stereo Patch Cord
• CES Earclip Stim Cable
• DAVID Carry Bag
• 9-Volt Alkaline Battery
• AC Adapter
• Comprehensive Operator's Manual and User's Guide with Symptom Survey Checklist
• 1-year manufacturer warranty